Language is at the core of cultural identity. It links people to their land; it projects history through story and song; it holds the key to kinship systems and to the intricacies of tribal law including spirituality, secret/sacred objects and rites. Language is a major factor in people retaining their cultural identity and many say ‘if the Language is strong, then Culture is strong’. (ATSIC 2000)
The Queensland Indigenous Languages Advisory Committee (QILAC) was formed in 2005 by Language Centre representatives and other Language workers, in recognition of the need for a state-wide body to advocate for Indigenous languages.
QILAC was the prime consultation group for the development of the State Library of Queensland’s Indigenous Languages Strategy, and is working with Education Queensland to ensure that Indigenous Languages are part of our school curriculum.
- To act as one voice
- To coordinate language issues in Queensland
The goals of QILAC include the following:
- Assisting in the development of a state language policy/framework.
- Develop and support the use of protocols and legal frameworks for persons involved with language.
- Bring together people interested in representing languages to:
- participate in the framework exchange experience,
- advocate for language matters in Queensland,
- network and support communities, and
- advise communities of funding sources that can be accessed for languages.
- To work cooperatively with other state and national organisations and committees.
- Support research and planning.
- Support the development of resources.
- Encourage more language workers, speakers and trainee linguists.
Queensland Indigenous Languages Advisory Committee website has been made available to share information about Aboriginal and Torres Strait Islander Language programs in Queensland, while also having a look at relevant news from interstate and overseas. Please feel contact us, to make your own contribution and let’s see how it grows.
Banma Kiya » Queensland Indigenous Languages Advisory CommitteeApril 6, 2010
[…] About QILAC Queensland Indigenous Languages Advisory Committee […]